Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Please Note, I'm Not Really Insulting Yo Mama

Yesterday, we drove roughly 3 hours to see M. Ward, the Shins and the White Stripes. Maliavale recounts the show and everyone's impressions of it on her site. I just have to add that a) I am continually blown away that two people produce that sound, b) Jack White is a genius and I'd love to sit down and talk about music with him someday and soak up the knowledge. You can tell just by listening to him play that he knows his stuff, and he lets it all inform what he does and c) Jack White is hella cute. He can be as creepy as he wants, he doesn't scare me. As maliavale said, it wasn't the best show I've ever been to, but it was just straight-up rock and a good time was had by all. Especially by the stoned couple next to us, the female half of which was dancing like she was at a Dead concert.

Before we departed for the show, maliavale gave me two awesome birthday presents: slang flash cards and A Portrait of Yo Mama As a Young Man. "I read this in the store," she said, "and I thought my knees were going to buckle, I was laughing so hard." Is she ever right. I think I pulled an ab muscle from all the laughing before we even left the house. Yo Mama jokes, I think we can all agree, are tired. But these are just absurd and elevate them to a new level. I threw the book in my purse so we could read it on the way up. Somewhere around the D.C. Beltway, I took it out and attempted to read Yo Mama jokes out loud, but it's pretty hard when you're laughing so hard you're choking. Maliavale did a valiant job of staying on the road through all of this. I could barely remain sitting upright and cried my makeup right off, I was laughing so hard, so I'm not sure how she managed to not crash us all into a guardrail.

Anyway, yeah. You probably had to be there, so I'm spreading the joy. A new Yo Mama joke is going to appear in the sidebar just about daily. I hope you enjoy them!