Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Wow, I Need Some Advil. And a Drink. And Some Hair Extensions, 'Cause I'm Ready to Pull It All Out.

So, I'm trying to build a web site, right?* I'm the ultimate do-it-yourself-er, so I think to myself, "I'm not going to pay someone to do this. It can't be that hard!"

Yet, 24 hours later here I am with a domain name and no physical site. Holy Mary Mother of God, why is it so hard? Wait. Scratch that. I meant to ask, why is it so hard if you want a site that doesn't induce an epileptic seizure? I was suckered in to one of those "an array of free [ugly ass] templates [that make the baby Jesus cry] to choose from! makes web design a cinch [if you're not at all picky]!" supposed deals.

I don't fancy myself as someone with amazing, revolutionary design sense, but I like to think I do have at least some idea of what looks halfway decent. How any of these templates were acceptable to anyone with functioning eyesight is beyond me. It's almost as though the free template designers and the web designers are in cahoots.

Well, at least the domain name is mine now. I can say that much.

*The site is for my business, which isn't really official or anything, but I figure that I should at least get something out there, something concrete, something that says hey, this is what I'm doing, and I'm doing it, look at me doing stuff and if you're inclined to have me do stuff for you, give me a call, but you know, I won't cry or anything if you don't. It's hard to be taken seriously if you're sending people to your blog, which I haven't been for these purposes. And I won't.