Monday, June 13, 2005

Father's Day

I think of all the holiday's, Father's Day stresses me out the most. Don't get me wrong, I love my dad. He's the bestest. The dad of dads. But I never have a single freaking clue of what to get him. Every year, I agonize, and it goes down to the wire. Less than a week, and I don't even have an idea yet.

He likes being a handyman and barbecueing, that much I know. They like to travel, too, but I think I've exhausted all the gift options for travel-related presents, which were: nifty monogrammed travel bag. He's set for the next 10 years, after which I'll get him another nifty monogrammed travel bag.

Generally I think I'm a pretty good gift giver. I start thinking about Christmas presents around June, and I'm always keeping an eye out for potential gifts for people, which I note in a log I carry in my purse. It seems I'm always stumbling across gifts ideas for everyone, except dad.

Gift suggestion articles piss me off, because they're always suggesting something absurdly extravagant. I just want to know who, outside of movie stars and CEOs, actually buys this stuff for their father. "Do you love your dad? Do you? Only someone who really loves their dad would spring for a 7 days all-expenses paid trip to Fiji (with dear old mom. You know, if you love her, too)."

I'll think of something. I always do. I just hope it isn't so lame it gets me written out of the will. But I would understand if it did.