Thursday, June 16, 2005

Concert Report

Last night the Mr. and I checked out Modest Mouse and Camper Van Beethoven, who opened.

Seeing Camper was so very cool, because I never got to see them before they broke up, and when we saw Cracker about 6 years ago, Dave Lowery was very pointedly refusing to play any Camper. So they came out and introduced themselves, which I personally didn't think was necessary. As Ryan Adams said about Caitlin Cary, "They need no f'n introduction." I didn't recognize 3 or 4 of the songs, but they did play Tania and Eye of Fatima from Revolutionary Sweetheart, Pictures of Matchstick Men from Key Lime Pie, plus Take the Skinheads Bowling and their awesome cover of White Riot. I could have left then and been completely satisfied.

But! Modest Mouse was still to come. I know they get a lot of flak, and yeah, Isaac Brock screams a little more than he should, but I happen to like them. The Moon and Antartica is a great album -- full of musings on life and death. Good News is good, as are the other, earlier ones, but the third one remains my favorite. You can imagine how excited I was that they opened with 3rd Planet, the first track off Moon, and it sounded amazing. After that, they bounced around between new and old, and at some points added so many people to the stage to play instruments that it resembled Polyphonic Spree. They came back for one encore (departing the stage with the least convincing pretend goodbye ever, "Thanks. Bye."), playing Float On and the World At Large, and then they left the stage one by one. Overall, pretty good show, and they did a great job of creating a really rich sound. I did miss hearing Cowboy Dan and Convenient Parking, though.

I don't have much to report on our fellow patrons, either. The Mr. expressed surprise that they were so young and normal. Before the show we played one of our favorite games: "I Wonder If They Know This?" where we ask that question about old rock songs playing and watch the young'ns around us for some reaction. The Clash and X got none, but the Mr. said when "Stonehenge" by Spinal Tap came on, a guy behind us asked, "Who is this? It sounds like a new age Jethro Tull."