Sunday, May 29, 2005

I'm So Bored, Therefore You Get This

I had forgotten about the VF Proust Questionnaire, until I saw Editor's Note post it.

What is your most marked characteristic?
The thing I've most consistently been told is how stubborn I am. In fact, sometimes I'm so stubborn, it's kind of a wonder that these people continue to associate with me. I've also been told I'm good at taking the piss out of most situations.

What is the quality you most like in a man?
I've always been a sucker for brains and hilarity above all else.

What is the quality you most like in a woman?
Again, hilarity and smarts, and also, someone who can hang in Vegas (which, thankfully, my friends can).

What do you most value in your friends?
Loyalty, honesty and knowing how to have a good time.

What is the trait you most deplore in yourself?
I jump to conclusions a little too quickly. (Maybe I need a Jump to Conclusions mat!) I've also needed to put my foot in my mouth more times than I care to count.

What is your favorite occupation?
Reading, napping, taking pictures.

What is your idea of perfect happiness?
Being surrounded by everything I love and feeling full of it inside.

What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery?
Loneliness, especially in a crowded room.

In which country would you like to live?
Ireland, Canada or England.

Who are your favorite writers?
Tobias Wolff, William Styron, Jennifer Weiner

Who are your favorite poets?
Ummmm...Sylvia Plath? Dr. Seuss?

Who are your favorite composers?
I have a soft spot for Bela Bartok, because his music is always fun to play on the piano. So loud and bang-y!

What is it that you most dislike?
Lack of compassion really pisses me off. I'll admit that I don't always have it, but I try to be mindful of when I don't so I can try to.

Which talent would you like to have?
I wish I could sing.

How would you like to die?
In the gears of a combine. Sorry, old joke. Well, in my sleep would be ideal. And I would hope that my last thoughts are happy, satisfied ones. Is anyone really going to answer this question, "Old, bitter and alone"? Aside from J.D. Salinger, I mean.

What is your current state of mind?
Frazzled. Hopeful.

What is your motto?
"If you want something done right, do it yourself." I know, isn't that totally cynical? It hasn't always held true, but I do find more often than not that it is for me.

OK, just so you don't go away mad, I'm also a big fan of, "If not me, who? If not now, when?" (which, when you think about it, is kind of a companion piece to the first quote). I've said this to myself many, many times in moments where I've waffled about doing something, whether big or mundane. It's a butt-kicker.