Sunday, May 29, 2005

I Still Wish He'd Kill Bugs

Here's a dirty little secret: I don't really care for DVD extras all that much. I don't know why. I've tried. For real, I have. Maybe it's the fact that I just sat through a 2-hour movie. Makes me less inclined to want to sit through another 90 minutes of making-of featurettes and crappy deleted scenes that clearly were meant to be deleted.

I don't like watching the movie with commentary, because it's like having two people competing for your attention and focus, one in each ear, and they don't ever shut up. Plus, as I said, I just watched the movie. Now I have to sit through it again while the Assistant Director of Photography and the Best Boy talk about working with the guy who played Bartender #4?

It took a long time to admit all this to myself, because I've bought DVDs in the past simply because I heard they had good extras. "Say Anything" springs to mind. But the various takes of Lloyd "All Null and Void" Dobler standing outside Diane Court's window left me drooling. Because I fell asleep, not because it was John Cusack.

The lone exception is the special edition of "Freaks & Geeks," which has some very astounding extras, all of which I intend to watch someday. But this was one of the best shows to ever air on television, and since it was unceremoniously whacked in its prime, I want to savor every last morsel of it.

When the Mr. and I rent DVDs, the routine is that we'll watch the movie, and as soon as the credits roll, I'm out of the room, onto other things. Rarely am I dying for more. The movie was enough. He, meanwhile, will surf around the extras. If anything is particularly worth watching, he'll let me know.

He's not just a husband, y'all. He's my personal DVD Extras Screener and, also, part-time P. Diddy Umbrella Holder Guy.