Sunday, April 24, 2005

My Big Cheeseball Post

Here are the pics from Ben Lee's show last night. You shouldn't have to sign in. I'll just say that if you haven't seen or heard Ben Lee, you're missing out! Seeing him live is something special, whether it's a packed house like Friday night or a small crowd like yesterday. You'll always leave with a big old smile on your face. Last night, the crowd was small enough that he and the band set up on the floor and we gathered in a circle around him (he didn't make good on his threats to have us sing Kumbaya over and over and over, thankfully). Thanks to part determination and part luck, I had a front-row seat.

Most of the show was stuff from the new album, and he played without a set list. About 3 songs in, he blew us away with this amazing cover of "Emperor's New Clothes" by Sinead O'Connor, that started off just him and his acoustic guitar and gradually built to include the rest of the band. You know how moving and amazing it was? I didn't want to take pictures. I know! I was shocked, too. I felt like picking up and snapping my camera would actually wreck the moment. I've never felt like that before. So, there you go.