Thursday, February 24, 2005

You've Been Invited to a Pity Party -- No Need to RSVP! Your Presence Is My Present.

The last few days, I've been feeling a little down. I miss my family and friends back home. This is going to sound hilarious coming from a hardcore phone-hater, but I wish the onus weren't so much on me to stay in touch (preferably by e-mail, of course). I do great with being alone most of the time, but believe it or not, I do get lonely out here. And I want to hear from someone familiar. I want to hear stories, too. I want to know what's going on in everyone's lives. I want to hear things that won't make me feel so far away. I know it was my choice to move away from home, but sometimes I feel like I'm forgotten and I'm always the one saying, "I'm thinking about you." Is anyone thinking about me?

My mom does a great job with calling and e-mailing frequently. My mother-in-law always writes the most thoughtful notes and calls us frequently. And Kim and Trish have been great, too. Our lives have gotten busier, but they're just as much my best friends in the world as they were when we were dancing our butts off, flirting with guys and drinking ciders at 'Toons. But there are some people I never, ever hear from. And this week, it kind of made me cry. But maybe that's just where I live. Sometimes there isn't much else to do around here.

But anyway, today, I got an e-mail from my sister-in-law, Laura. And I don't think she reads this blog, but I hope I conveyed how absolutely thrilled I was to hear from her without sounding too psychotic. But it was just what I needed at the perfect time, and I'm feeling a lot better.