Thursday, January 27, 2005

It's A Small World After All

Sometimes there isn't any other option to name a post other than the name you chose for it. Despite the fact that sometimes a title will give you flashbacks about the time you and your stepbrother were riding "It's a Small World" at Disneyland and someone went nuts with letting the boats out and there was a major logjam and you weren't going anywhere. And then stepbro, realizing we're going to be there for awhile, whips out a copy of "Raiders of the Lost Ark" from his fluorescent green fanny pack (this was the 80s) and starts reading and you're just sitting there, in international can-can dancing hell listening to that annoying song over and over and over. An hour later, you still haven't gone anywhere and you don't know where you are anymore, because 30 minutes earlier, you went insane. But one thing led to another, and you had to climb out of the boat and go behind the scenes to escape the cheerfulness. And you are scarred for life.

But the thing I came here to post today isn't about that. I'd like to get off that subject as quickly as possible. I don't like to discuss it, really. I have seen things. Let's just leave it at that.

I mentioned to Jasclo yesterday at lunch that the only thing we didn't like about the DVR was not being able to watch one channel and tape another. She was like, "Oh, yes you can!" And I was like, "No, you totally can't!" "Yes you can." "Noooo, you can't." After verifying that she wasn't nuts and she has actually done this on her machine, I wondered that in the sam hell was going on. When I got home, I called cable and asked just why my friend got a better DVR than we did. "Please verify your number and mailing address..." I did that. Then the lady on the other line repeated my address back to me in sort of a halting, choking manner. I was thinking, "Is she OK?" Well, she said: "I grew up in that house!"

Dude, no way! Isn't that nuts? We talked for a few minutes about it, and how it used to be two units. Her aunt lived upstairs and she lived downstairs. "Is it all one house now?" she asked. It sure is! It turns out she lives about 10 blocks up from us and drives around her old neighborhood from time to time. I told her to stop by the next time she did, and she said she hopes we remember her. Of course we will! That is just too crazy to forget.

We eventually got down to business with the DVR. We were given one of the old single receiver ones. She said as newer customers, we should have gotten the dual receivers like Jasclo has (and she has had her DVR for awhile now). They're a-coming tomorrow to give us our new, improved unit so we can watch twice as much TV. I may have to go full-time with it!